Mascara formula contains color pigment, which can cause stubborn stains on your cloth or anything. One day you might drop the mascara on your favorite dress, and you try to remove the stain using water and soap, but it just won’t budge. You try again and again, but the result is still the same. Wax and silicone contained in the mascara make it challenging to wash off, so you need something to dissolve these chemical components. We have some tips to get the mascara out of your clothes using home items without washing them in the washer. These tips even work to remove waterproof mascara. All things you need might be available in your kitchen or makeup drawer.
If you are looking for easy methods to remove mascara without makeup remover, you can try using baby shampoo, baby oil or coconut oil. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove all the mascara on your eyelashes.
How to Remove Mascara from Clothes Using Makeup Removal
- Take a makeup removal wipe and a wet paper towel.
- Layout the stain onto the paper towel.
- Use the makeup removal wipe on the back and stroke hard to push the stain into the paper towel.
- Stroke the stain until no more comes off and wipe some liquid laundry detergent on it.
- Lastly, wash your cloth as usual with a tiny amount of fabric-safe bleach in the washer. That’s how you remove mascara from your clothes.
How to Remove Mascara from Curtain
This method is only applicable for furniture curtains that can be cleaned with water. If not, you need to call for professional help.
- Mix 1 cup of water with one-quarter teaspoon of dish liquid
- Use a clean cloth, stroke the stained area gently using the dish liquid solution.
- Make sure the stain absorbs the dish liquid solution.
- You need to repeat the essential steps above until the stain is disappeared.
- Take a sponge and wet it with cold water and wipe at the stained area until dry.
How to Remove Mascara from Your Carpet
It is even harder to remove a mascara stain from a carpet. But we have compiled a recommended steps to wipe off mascara stain on a carpet.
- Mix 1 cup of warm water with one-quarter teaspoon of liquid dish soap.
- Take a clean sponge, wet it with the dish soap solution, and gently apply it to the stained area.
- Take a clean cloth, wet it with clean, warm water, and wipe onto the stained area until all the dish soap solution is absorbed.
- Please do the steps above carefully and avoid using too much water on the carpet. The wet carpet will grow mold and cause a foul odor to your carpet that can take months to clear up.
- If the steps above cannot eliminate the stain, mix one-half cup of water with one tablespoon of ammonia – not suitable for silk or wool carpet.
- Wipe the carpet with the ammonia solution and rinse with a clean cloth until it is dry.
- Another method you can try is using vinegar. Mix one cup of warm water with one teaspoon of white vinegar.
- Wipe the area with a sponge and rinse with a clean cloth until dry.
How to Remove Mascara from Your Towel
To minimize mascara stain on your towel, you need to remove all the mascara and makeup before using your towel. Read the steps below to get rid of mascara stains on your towel.
- Be quick! If you noticed that your towel has a mascara stain on it, soak your towel with clean water as soon as possible. The longer the mascara stain stays on your towel, there is the chance the color will last forever.
- Put some liquid dish soap onto the stain and wait for 5 minutes.
- Wipe the stained area with a wet cloth and flush the water from both sides of the towel.
- Repeat the steps above if necessary.
How to Get Mascara Out Of Couch
Mascara stain on the couch generally easy to remove if your couch is made of polyester or polypropylene. The mascara stain does not really blend into the couch and makes it easy to get erased. But, it will become tough to remove if your couch is made from linen, velvet, or woolen material.
Mascara or other waterproof makeup products is made of oil and color, which are a nemesis to this type of material. You need to remove the stain as soon as possible; if not, it will likely stay forever. If the stain is there for quite some time, there is no way to remove the stain without damaging your couch. Follow the steps below to get mascara out of the couch.
- The first thing to do is, take a kitchen knife and scrape the mascara stain with the dull side. You will notice some powder will drop and wipe the blade with a clean paper towel. Repeat until you cannot see any dust on your knife after scraping. Do it gently and carefully.
- Take a tablespoon of baking soda and sprinkle it over the stain. Cover the stain with baking soda and leave it for 30 minutes. The baking soda is very effective in absorbing the oil from mascara.
- Use your vacuum to remove the baking soda.
- Take a small bowl, fill it with 1 cup of warm water, and mix it with one tablespoon of liquid dish soap. Stir until mix well and soapy.
- Wet a clean cloth and dip into the dish soap solution. Squeeze the cloth to make sure no excess water.
- Wipe the stained area with the cloth. Repeat until all stain is removed.
- Rinse the area with a clean cloth and let the couch dry for the day.
These steps are also applicable to other home upholstery and bed sheet. Just make sure you do it carefully not to damage the fabric. If the stain has been there for quite some time, we suggest you get professional help. They have the tools and skills to do it. Otherwise, you can purchase the best stain removal for makeup on Amazon to remove the mascara from your clothes.